by Julie La Rochelle
Guardian Angel Foods
Yield: 30 cookies
Free of: Top allergens except soy (margarine) and wheat.
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegan margarine (e.g. Earth Balance or Nuvel)
- 2½ cups (300 g) flour
- 1 cup (125 g) icing sugar
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) soy beverage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
Ingredients for 3 Glazes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pure orange juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grape juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cranberry juice
- ¼ cup (90 g) icing sugar divided into
- 3 small bowls
- Place the margarine in a large bowl. Add flour, stirring. Continue to add other cookie ingredients, stirring thoroughly as each goes into the pastry mixture.
- In a couple of minutes, there will be a big pastry ball. Shape the ball with your hands (careful not to over-handle), then cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325º F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets with safe margarine. Set aside.
- Generously flour the work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out your pastry to a ¼-inch thickness.
- Now comes the part kids will enjoy. Using your family’s favourite cookie cutters, cut your biscuits out of the pastry. Place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies 10-12 minutes.
- To make the glazes: Stir the orange juice into one of the bowls with icing sugar, then do the same with the other two bowls and juice flavours. Once the cookies have thoroughly cooled, spread the glaze over them. Use a cake decorating syringe to create faces and balls. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
From the cookbook Peut Contenir des Traces de Bonheur (May Contain Traces of Happiness), Les Éditions de l’Homme. Photo by: TANGO
See Julie’s cakes, cookies and more at www.guardianangelfoods.com
You may also be interested in Baking with No Eggs or Milk