Glazed Duck Quesadillas
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:07 pm In Appetizers,Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,GF Appetizers,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Makes 16 wedges
Free of: All top allergens and gluten.
- 4 7½-inch gluten-free, soft tortillas (such as Rudi’s plain tortillas) or regular tortillas (if not GF)
- 2 boneless duck breasts with skin
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) bean sprouts
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) bottled plum sauce*
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) 5-spice powder (available at
spice shops and Asian groceries)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice with the 5-spice powder. Simmer until reduced by half and let cool.
- Using a small, sharp knife, score the duck breast skin at 1/4-inch intervals. Brush duck breasts with half the orange glaze. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a medium pan. Sear duck, skin side down over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until crispy. Turn and sear other side for 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer duck to oven; roast for 8 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from oven, cool and slice thinly.
- Spread each tortilla with plum sauce. Layer bottom half of tortilla with sliced duck, then the carrot, onion and sprouts. Fold top half over filling to create a half moon shape.
- In a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat. Fry quesadillas one at a time, turning to brown evenly on both sides. Add more oil to pan as needed.
- Cut each quesadilla into four triangles and serve.
*Note: When using packaged ingredients, always carefully check labels for allergens, and contact the manufacturer if in doubt.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/appetizer-duck-quesadillas/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/recipes.ss_.glazed-duck-quesadillas.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.