Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free.
Note: This batter works equally well with zucchini or mushrooms. Excellent choice for guests who eat gluten-free.
- 3 baby eggplants or 1 large regular eggplant, cut into 1⁄8-inch rounds
- 1 1⁄2 cups (375 mL) hot water
- 1 1⁄4 cups (310 mL) chickpea flour
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) rice flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place eggplant slices in a large bowl and cover with salted water. Let stand for 10 minutes, drain and pat dry.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the hot water, flours and spices until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a large, deep frying pan. Heat oil to 375° F (use a thermometer to check temperature).
- When oil is hot, dip the eggplant slices into the batter and then deep-fry, taking care not to crowd the pan. Fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place cooked fritters on paper towel to drain off excess oil. Plate and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.