- 8 medium apples, peeled and diced
- zest of one orange
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1⁄3 cup (90 mL) butter alternative (such as Earth Balance) or butter
- 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) gluten-free or pure oats (e.g. Bob’s Red Mill or Only Oats)*
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375º F. Grease 8 ramekins (4-inch). Toss apples with zest and divide among ramekins.
- Place flour blend in a large bowl. Add butter or alternative in small pieces. Using your fingertips rub together until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- Bake for 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.
*Note: Gluten-free oats (called “pure, uncontaminated” in Canada) are allowed on the gluten-free diet on a limited basis. See Shelley Case’s explanation.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order a back issue, click here.