Makes 12 brownies
Free of: All top allergens, except wheat.
For gluten-free recipe, click here.
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) carob powder [look for allergen-free brands]
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips*
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 4 eggs or 4 tbsp egg replacer
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
* See note on “Safe Chocolate”
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, sift together flour, carob, baking powder and salt. Add chocolate chips and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, use a whisk to cream together oil and sugar. Add the eggs (or egg replacer) and vanilla and stir.
- Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and combine.
- Grease an 8-inch square (or 8×11-inch) baking pan. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 20–22 minutes. Cool, cut into 12 squares and serve.
* Note: Safe Chocolate
Here are some of our favourite allergy-friendly chocolate choices for baking:
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens, plus gluten and casein.
- Nonuttin’ 70% Dark Chocolate Chunks and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens except soy.
- Vermont Nut Free Chocolates Chocolate Chips, Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Candy Melts and Cocoa Powder – free of peanut and tree nut.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Winter 2009.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.