- 4 egg whites*
- 300 g (3 cups) icing sugar
- 250 g (2 3/4 cups) shredded coconut [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) dark chocolate**, melted
*Note: There are alternatives to egg whites. For example, this one from Orgran.
**See note on “Safe Chocolate”
- Pre-heat oven to 250°F. In a metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and lemon juice.
- Place bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Continue to beat mixture until stiff. Remove from heat and fold in coconut.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop mixture by the tablespoon onto the sheet, about one inch apart. Bake 15-18 minutes until set, but not browning.
- Remove and cool. Dip tops into melted chocolate and cool. Serve.
**Note: Safe Chocolate
Here are some of our favourite allergy-friendly chocolate choices for baking:
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens, plus gluten and casein.
- Nonuttin’ 70% Dark Chocolate Chunks and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens except soy.
- Vermont Nut Free Chocolates
Chocolate Chips, Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Candy Melts and Cocoa Powder – free of peanut and tree nut.
- President’s Choice Decadent Chocolate Chips – free of peanut and tree nut. Processed on a dairy-free line, but not in a dairy-free plant.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.