- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening or milk-free margarine
- 2 cups (475 mL) molasses
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) warm water
- 7 cups (1645 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup (80 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt the shortening or margarine in a small saucepan or microwave. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the cooled shortening or margarine with the molasses and water.
- Add the dry ingredients, stirring well until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove dough from fridge and roll out on a floured surface to 1⁄4-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut into desired shapes.
- Place gingerbread on a non-stick cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and decorate with homemade icing and allergy-free candies
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order a back issue of Allergic Living magazine, click here.