Free of: Gluten and all top allergens, except eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 300 g (3 cups) icing sugar
- 250 g (2¾ cups) shredded coconut [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) dark chocolate*, melted
*See note on “Safe Chocolate”
- Pre-heat oven to 250°F. In a metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar and lemon juice.
- Place bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Continue to beat mixture until stiff. Remove from heat and fold in coconut.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop mixture by the tablespoon onto the sheet, about one inch apart. Bake 15-18 minutes until set, but not browning.
- Remove and cool. Dip tops into melted chocolate and cool. Serve.
*Note: Safe Chocolate
Here are some of our favorite allergy-friendly chocolate choices for baking:
- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens, plus gluten and casein.
- Nonuttin’ 70% Dark Chocolate Chunks and Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips – free of all top allergens except soy.
- Vermont Nut Free Chocolates
Chocolate Chips, Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, Candy Melts and Cocoa Powder – free of peanut and tree nut.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.