Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
For version with wheat flour, click here.
- 3 cups (725 mL) apples, peeled, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh cranberries
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp minute tapioca
- 1/3 cup (85 mL) cold dairy-free margarine (e.g. Earth Balance) or butter, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 tbsp zest of one orange
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F. For the filling, combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then pour into pie shell.
- To make the topping, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with fingertips until mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Spread topping over fruit filling and bake 35-40 minutes, until topping and crust are golden.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
- 2 cups (475 mL) brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable shortening, diced
- 2 tbsp of egg replacer or 1 egg
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) water
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix together with fingers until dough forms.
- Place dough between two rice-floured sheets of wax paper. Roll pastry out to the size of your pie shell. Remove top layer of paper and turn pastry into pie shell. Press into shell firmly and trim or crimp edges.
For traditional flour recipe, click here.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here.