Free of: Gluten and top allergens. Dates contain sulfites.
- 2 cups (475 mL) pitted dates
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) water
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) orange zest
- 2 tbsp orange juice
Crumb Layer Ingredients
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats (large). Use a GF brand, such as Bob’s Red Mill*.
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) allergy-safe vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine dates and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook on medium 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until a paste forms. Remove from heat and stir in orange zest and juice. Set aside.
- For crumb layer: combine flour, oats, baking soda and salt in mixing bowl. Melt butter or shortening and brown sugar in a small saucepan on low heat. Pour into flour mixture and add vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square baking pan. Place two-thirds of crumb mixture into pan and press in lightly. Add date filling and top with remaining crumb mix.
- Bake 20–25 minutes until golden brown. Remove and cool. Cut into 12 squares. Serve or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.*Does have a tree nut “may contain” warning. For tree nut allergy, use a different brand of rolled oats.