- 1½ cups (360 mL) pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs or 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) egg replacer
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) plain soy yogurt or sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) dairy-free whipping cream (e.g Nutriwhip)
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into desired pie crust (recipes follow).
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
Free of: All top allergens
- 2 cups (475 mL) brown rice flour
- 3⁄4 cup (180 mL) tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) vegetable shortening, diced
- 2 tbsp egg replacer or 1 egg
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) water
- Pinch of salt
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix together with fingers until dough forms.
- Place dough between two rice-floured sheets of wax paper. Roll pastry out to the size of your pie shell. Remove top layer of paper and turn pastry into pie shell. Press into shell firmly and trim or crimp edges.
For traditional recipe, click here .
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Winter 2009.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.