Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 3:38 pm In Christmas, Hanukkah,Dessert,DFCF,Eggs,Fish,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Pies, Squares,Pies, Squares,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts | No Comments
Makes 16 tartlets
Free of: All top allergens except wheat.
Fruits contain sulfites.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each: prunes, raisins, dried apricots, dates, dried cranberries, diced
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) each: cinnamon nutmeg, allspice, salt
- 1/2 cup 125 mL) brown sugar
- 2 cups (475 mL) plus 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) brandy [optional]
- 1 1/4 cups (295 mL) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) butter, chilled and diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable shortening, chilled and diced. For dairy-free, omit butter and increase shortening to 1/2 cup
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) ice water
- For the pastry: in a food processor, pulse together flour, butter (if using), shortening and salt. Continue pulsing, adding water 1 tbsp at a time until dough forms.
- Shape dough into a ball. Cut ball into quarters, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For filling: in a medium saucepan, combine dried fruit, sugar, spices and cranberries. Bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch in ice water. Add to fruit mixture and simmer 4 minutes. Add the brandy (if using) and remove from heat.
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Remove dough from fridge. Roll each quarter out to form a large ¼-inch thick disk. Using a 3-inch round pastry cutter first, cut out 16 disks.
- Now, using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out 16 disks. Cover pastry disks with a dish towel.
- Place each 3-inch pastry disk into each cup of a shallow muffin pan, and press gently into place (dough should reach ¾ of the way up the sides of the cups). Spoon a generous tablespoon of filling into each tartlet and top with a 2-inch pastry round.
- Brush the top of each with egg yolk (if using). Sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake 22–25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
For more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living here .
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/dessert-mincemeat-tartlets/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Mincemeat-Tartlets.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.