Filling Free of: All top allergens, and gluten when using gluten-free crust.
- 1 1/2 cups (360 mL) pumpkin purée
- 3 eggs or 1⁄ 3 cup (85 mL) egg replacer
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sour cream. For dairy-free, use plain soy yogurt.
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream or dairy-free alternative e.g. Nutriwhip
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour mixture into desired pie crust (recipes follow).
- Bake 20-25 minutes until filling is set. Remove from oven and cool before serving.
Gluten-Free Pie Crust – click here.
Regular Pie Crust (makes two crusts)
This version contains wheat.
- 3 cups (725 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 2 egg yolks or 2 tbsp (30 mL) egg replacer
- 2⁄3 cup (160 mL) butter, diced
- 1⁄3 cup (85 mL) vegetable shortening, diced. For dairy-free, make it 1 cup of shortening and omit butter.
- Pinch of salt
- Ice water
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add butter (if using) and shortening. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Continue to pulse adding 1 tablespoon of ice water at a time, until smooth dough forms.
- Remove dough. Divide in half and form each half into a disk. Wrap disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Once chilled, roll dough out to 1 ⁄ 4-inch thickness and lay into pie plate, trim edges.
Recipe by Food Editor Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.