Serves 4 to 6
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens except mustard.
The barbecue sauce can be made up to two days ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 2 small chickens, each cut into 8
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 11/2 cups (360 mL) ketchup
- 1 cup (250 mL) cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) soy sauce [Optional. May substitute fresh orange juice]
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dried ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and pat dry cut-up chicken.
- Combine all other ingredients in a medium sauce pan and simmer over medium heat for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When cool, pour sauce over chicken and marinate in the fridge for up to 4 hours.
- Set barbecue to medium-high heat and grill the chicken for 10 to 12 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order magazine, click here.