- 1 whole organic chicken, rinsed and cut into 8
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) whole coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole mixed peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) olive oil
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves (for garnish)
Sweet & Spicy Dipping Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) rice wine vinegar [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) clear honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) dried red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- Place coriander seeds, peppercorns, garlic, salt and oil in a large mortar and pound with a pestle until a paste forms. (Or pulse ingredients for 1 minute in a spice grinder or mini-chopper until combined.)
- Rub paste over cut-up chicken to coat. Marinate for 2-4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce: combine rice wine vinegar and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and then simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Pre-heat barbecue or broiler on high. Cook chicken on both sides for 6-8 minutes or until juices run clear when cut with a knife.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter garnished with fresh coriander leaves.Pour dipping sauce into small individual bowls and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
From Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here.