Moroccan Chicken and Vegetable Stew
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 4:43 pm In Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Main Dishes,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Wheat | No Comments
Free of: Top allergens and gluten-free
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8, rinsed, patted dry
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground coriander
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cayenne
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1 can (398 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock [Look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) white wine [For sulfite allergy, substitute: 1 cup stock]
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine cut-up chicken with ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander and cayenne. Toss together well, cover and marinade in fridge for 2-4 hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil. Sauté the chicken for 2-4 minutes on both sides until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a casserole dish that’s oven-proof.
- In the same large pan, sauté rutabaga, carrots and parsnips for 4 minutes. Then add to chicken.
- Next add chickpeas, stock, wine, salt and pepper to the casserole. Put lid on the dish and cook in the oven for 90 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over couscous or, for gluten-free, herbed rice.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
See Simon’s: Apple Crisp 
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order a back issue, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/main-chicken-vegetable-moroccan-stew/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/recipes.slideshow.mains_.moroccan-chicken.jpg
 Apple Crisp: http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=300
 here: http://www.allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.