Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 2 lb (1 kg) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 tbsp rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
- Pinch of each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8-10 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste [look for sulphite-free brands]
- 4 cups (950 mL) vegetable broth [look for allergen-free brands]
Dumpling Ingredients (for GF, see below)
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) milk
- In a large bowl, toss lamb with flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add vegetables, garlic, onions and rosemary to pan, sauté for 4-6 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir to combine. Add broth and return lamb to pan. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dumplings, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add olive oil and milk. Mix to form a soft dough and divide into 8 flattened balls.
- Place dumplings on stew and continue to simmer for another 15-18 minutes.
- Serve stew with one dumpling per person.
Gluten-free Dumpling Ingredients
- 1 cup (250 mL) chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- In a small bowl combine flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, chives, parsley, rosemary, onion powder and black pepper. Stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Set aside
- Drop dumpling dough by the tablespoon into stew. (you’ll have 10-12 dumplings). Cover stew and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are doubled in size and cooked through.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography, Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine. To order the magazine, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.