Free of: (Stew) all top allergens and gluten-free.
Dumplings (optional) contain wheat and dairy.
- 2 lb (1 kg) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 tbsp rice flour (or all-purpose flour)
- Pinch of each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8-10 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 8-10 baby potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste [look for sulphite-free brands]
- 4 cups (950 mL) vegetable broth [look for allergen-free brands]
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) milk
- In a large bowl, toss lamb with flour, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add lamb and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add vegetables, garlic, onions and rosemary to pan, sauté for 4-6 minutes. Add tomato paste, stir to combine. Add broth and return lamb to pan. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, to prepare dumplings, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add olive oil and milk. Mix to form a soft dough and divide into 8 flattened balls.
- Place dumplings on stew and continue to simmer for another 15-18 minutes.
- Serve stew with one dumpling per person.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography, Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine. To order the magazine, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.