Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
Chef’s Note: Steak without the heaviness. Indulge in this perfect patio salad with its note of citrus.
- 2 strip loin steaks
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, washed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 oranges, segmented, juice reserved
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat barbecue to medium-high. Rub steaks with a little olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook steaks for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest and cool.
- Segment oranges over a small bowl. Reserve the juice in bowl.
- Spread out lettuce leaves on a platter. Top with carrot, red onion slices, orange segments and mint.
- To make dressing, whisk together reserved orange juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Slice steaks thinly and place onto salad. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine, Summer 2010.
To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.