Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
Posted By Allergic Living On 2010/07/02 @ 5:04 pm In Appetizers,Celiac, Gluten-free,DFCF,Eggs,Fall,Fish,GF Lunches,International,Lunches,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soups,Soups,Soy,Spring,Sulphites,Summer,Tree Nuts | No Comments
Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free.
- 2 lb (1 kg) stewing beef, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 inches (5 cm) of fresh ginger, peeled and smashed. [See Method re “smashing”.]
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 2-inch (5 cm) cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 4 star anise
- 4 cups (950 mL) beef broth [look for organic, allergen-free brands]
- 2 cups (475 mL) water (plus 6 cups – 1.5 L- for cooking noodles)
- 1⁄2 lb (230 g) medium-width rice noodles
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups (475 mL) bean sprouts
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh Thai basil, torn
- 2 large red Serrano chilies, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh coriander leaves
- 1 lime, sliced in wedges
- Soak rice noodles in cold water for 30 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, heat vegetable oil over medium. Add beef and brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- To smash peeled ginger, place under flat side of a large knife. Press down firmly on knife to squash and release flavours. Add ginger and onion to pot. Sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and peppercorns.
- Return beef to pot, add 2 cups water and beef broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes, or until meat is tender. Season with salt to taste.
- As broth simmers, bring 6 cups water to boil in a large pot. Add rice noodles, cook 3-5 minutes, until just tender. Do not overcook. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- To serve, divide noodles among four to six soup bowls. Ladle soup over noodles and top with each of the garnish ingredients, squeezing lime over top just before serving.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Food photography by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2010/07/02/soup-vietnamese-beef-noodle/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/recipe.vietnamese-beef-noodle-soup.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.