Managing Peanut Allergy
Be prepared: Make it a rule – no epinephrine auto-injector means no food. While you’ll do everything to make sure you’re not eating peanuts, accidents happen. Make sure you always have your auto-injector on you when you eat, in case of an emergency. If your child is allergic, make sure this rule is one he or she takes seriously.
Educating Others: In order to successfully manage a peanut allergy, those around you/your child need to be aware of the allergy and the serious consequences that could result from eating peanuts.
Plan what you’ll say to others to explain this condition. Be calm, clear about the information and keep the conversation based on facts. Politely request that they help you keep yourself or your child safe. You’ll often find that once a person understands about food allergies and anaphylaxis, they’ll be more than willing to help out. Be mindful that there is a learning curve, and don’t expect people who don’t live with peanut allergy to absorb it all as quickly as you have.
A final note: Peanuts allergies are one of the most common allergies, especially in kids, and are widely recognized. This can be beneficial, as many people are aware of their severity and many products exist that are “peanut-free”, often with logos on them designating them as such. With vigilance and support from those around you, you or your allergic child can lead a full and safe life with peanut allergy.