Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free.
- 2.2 lbs (1 kg) stewing beef
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup (60 mL) vegetable or olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 12 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 12 button mushrooms
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 4 bay leaves
- 8 thyme sprigs
- 6 cups (1.5 L) beef broth [Look for allergen-free, gluten-free brand]
- 2 cups (475 mL) red wine. To omit wine, use 2 more cups of stock.
- 12-14 baby potatoes
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a Dutch oven or large pot, heat oil over high heat. In 2-3 batches, brown meat and transfer to platter.
- Add onion, garlic cloves, carrots, celery and mushrooms to pot. Sauté 4-6 minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the herbs, stock and wine to the pot. Bring to boil, return beef to pot, cover with an oven-proof lid or foil. Place pot in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes until lightly cooked. Drain, set aside.
- Add potatoes to stew. Cook a further 1½ hours in oven.
- Ladle into soup bowls; serve and enjoy.