In the Allergic Living kitchen, we knew that Lori Sandler of the divine Divvies Bakery released a cookbook (no milk, eggs, nuts or peanuts.) So we got a copy of The Divvies Bakery Cookbook, whipped up her vanilla cupcakes and tested them on some picky palates.
The response? Imagine a group of kids yelling “I love cupcakes” at full volume, and you’ve got the picture. And now, you’ve got the recipe.
Divvies Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 18 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Energ G egg replacer
- 2 tablespoons unflavored seltzer
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-well cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Emulsify the egg replacer and seltzer in a small bowl using a small whisk until frothy. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the mixer on high speed, beat the softened margarine, sugar, vanilla, and egg replacer until fluffy. At least twice during the mixing, scrape down sides and bottom of bowl thoroughly in order to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture and soy milk to the sugar mixture, alternately, ¼ cup at a time. Mix on medium speed, scraping the sides and bottom of bowl, until just incorporated. Do not overmix. The batter will be stiff.
- Distribute the batter evenly among the paper liners.
- Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes. The cupcakes are fully baked when a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to wire cooling racks. Cool completely before frosting.
Next: Vanilla Frosting 
Republished with permission of The Divvies Bakery Cookbook. © 2010 St. Martin’s Press. For more on the book and where to buy, see www.divvies.com 
Divvies Vanilla Frosting
Makes 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups unsifted confectioner’s sugar, plus 1/2 cup unsifted confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine, chilled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rice milk
- Combine the 1 1/4 cups of unsifted confectioner’s sugar, margarine, salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl with a spatula, and continue to mix for 1 minute.
- Add the rice milk and continue mixing on medium speed. With mixer running, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar until you achieve the desired sweetness. Beat an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until creamy.
- Use to frost cooled cupcakes or cake.
Tip: You can freeze unfrosted cupcakes so you always have something special for last-minute occasions.
Republished with permission of The Divvies Bakery Cookbook. © 2010 St. Martin’s Press. For more on the book and where to buy, see www.divvies.com