Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
- 4 beef osso buco cuts from the shank (be sure to ask for the osso buco cut, or you will end up with a very large whole shank)
- 1 cup (250 mL) tapioca flour (or all-purpose wheat flour)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) red pearl onions
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (475 mL) diced carrots
- 1 cup (250 mL) celery, diced
- Rind from 1 orange – remove peel with peeler
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch fresh thyme (whole)
- 4 cups (950 mL) beef stock [Look for allergen-free, g-f brands]
- 2 cups (475 mL) red wine (if not using wine, replace with more stock)
- Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Season flour with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss shanks gently in seasoned flour to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-proof Dutch oven, over medium-high heat. Brown shanks. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery to the pot. Cook 5 minutes. Add orange peel strips, bay leaves, thyme, stock and wine (if using). Stir.
- Now add beef shanks and submerge in the liquid. Cover tightly with Dutch oven lid. Place in oven for 2-2½ hours, until shanks are tender.
- Skim off excess fat from pan. Remove orange peel and herbs.
- Serve one beef shank per person, with some vegetables and aromatic broth.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here.