Free of: Gluten and all top allergens, except dairy in optional cheese
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock, halved into two 2-cup portions [Look for allergen-free, GF brands]
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) parmesan [optional], grated, plus extra for garnish vegetable oil for oiling dish
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 large red peppers
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) basil leaves, sliced
- Bring 2 cups of stock and salt to a boil, over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and other 2 cups stock. Add mixture to the boiling stock, reducing heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, 15-18 minutes until polenta is cooked. In the last few minutes, mix in the grated parmesan (if using).
- Brush an 8 x 11-inch Pyrex baking dish with vegetable oil. Spread polenta into dish, cover with plastic wrap and cool at least one hour. (Mix keeps in fridge up to one day.)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Coat whole peppers with olive oil, place on baking sheet and roast 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven to cool, then remove skin and seeds. Slice thinly.
- Mix pepper slices and basil. Set aside.
- Cut polenta into triangles, roughly 2½-inches long. Brush with olive oil, and grill for 1-2 minutes on both sides. (Use a grill or griddle pan.)
- Top each grilled triangle with 1 tbsp of pepper mixture, garnish with shaved parmesan (if using) and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here.
More Festive Appetizers:
- Wild Mushroom Risotto Cakes (pictured)
- Prosciutto Wrapped Figs
- Spicy Eggplant Fritters