Free of: Free of gluten and top allergens. Does constain sulfites (in fruit, liquor).
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) golden raisins
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) dark raisins
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried currants
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) honey
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brandy
- 1 cup (250 mL) gluten-free or regular bread flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dairy-free alternative [we used Earth Balance] or butter
- 3 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 4 tbsp water or 2 eggs
- In a large bowl, combine the dried fruit, honey and brandy. Cover and let soak overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 275º F. Grease and flour 8×3-inch loaf pan.
- Sift flour, salt and spices together. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream together sugar and butter alternative for five minutes on medium speed, scraping down bowl as needed.
- On low speed, add all egg replacer at once, (or one egg at a time) until fully incorporated.
- Add sifted dry ingredients to the bowl, combining thoroughly.
- Add the soaked fruit and brandy, folding into mix.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and bake for 2 hours, or until a toothpick in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here.