Free of: All top allergens, and gluten-free
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil + 2 tbsp
- 2 cups (475 mL) arborio rice
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chives
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, gluten-free brands]
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups assorted mushrooms, such as shitake, portobello, oyster, cremini, sliced.
- In a large heavy bottomed sauté pan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir together for 2 minutes. Stir in half of the chicken stock and reduce heat to medium. Cook 5-6 minutes stirring often. Gradually add remaining stock and continue to cook about 15 more minutes. Stir in chives, and refrigerate risotto until cool.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add mushrooms and add salt and pepper. Sauté 4-5 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- Form risotto into 3-inch patties. In a large pan over medium heat, sautéd cakes 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Top with 1 tbsp mushroom mixture, and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here.
More Festive Appetizers:
- Polenta Triangles with Roasted Red Peppers (pictured)
- Prosciutto Wrapped Figs
- Spicy Eggplant Fritters