Japanese Noodle Soup
Posted By Allergic Living On 2011/03/31 @ 2:32 pm In DFCF,Eggs,Fish,Lunches,Main Dishes,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soups,Soups,Soy,Spring,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Vegan,Wheat | No Comments
This healthy soup is a complete meal in a bowl. Keep it vegetarian or add cooked chicken or beef for more protein.
Free of: gluten and top allergens; soy, as tofu, is optional.
- 1 cup (8 oz) gluten-free Japanese broad flat rice noodles
- 8 cups (1.8 L) low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, GF brands]
- 2 cups (475 mL) packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch pieces [optional; can substitute cooked chicken]
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes or 1 whole chili, seeded, minced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed Thai basil, finely chopped
- Remove both ends and outer leaves of lemongrass and halve lengthwise.
- Combine stock and lemongrass in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and ginger for 2 minutes.
Add tofu (if using) and spinach and cook an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove lemongrass from stock and transfer spinach and tofu mixture to soup.
Add chili and stir.
- Divide evenly between serving bowls and garnish with Thai basil.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe or order an issue, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2011/03/31/japanese-noodle-soup/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/web_Japanese-noodle-Soup-270x330.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe
Click here to print.