Here’s some sweet news for all you last-minute Valentine’s Day shoppers: Supermarket and drugstore seasonal candy finds are becoming more and more allergy-friendly and gluten aware. We found several options right in the local aisles.
Updated for 2014 with files from Erin Stevenson
• Double your love this Valentine’s Day by giving Divvies’ Two Hearts . These gourmet chocolate hearts can be enjoyed solo or shared with someone special. Contain soy. Available at Whole Foods locations in the U.S. and Canada. For more stores visit www.divvies.com .
• Allergy-friendly candy company Gimbal’s offers Cherry Lovers fruit chews, in charming heart shapes and made with real cherry juice. Free of the top 8 allergens, they are gluten-free and gelatin-free, plus contain no high-fructose corn syrup or trans fats. Available at grocers throughout the U.S. and in Canada at select Shoppers Drug Mart, Walmart and London Drugs stores. Also buy online at www.gimbalscandy.com .
• Got fans of gummy candies on your list? All-natural, organic Fruity Hearts  from Surf Sweets are available for a limited time in a seasonal heart shape. Enjoy mouth-watering cherry and watermelon flavors that are gluten-free, GMO-free and free of the Top 8 allergens.
• What would Valentine’s Day be without chocolate? Heart-shaped Valentine’s Dove Dark Chocolate Promises  are dark, delicious – and nut-free. They’re gluten-free, too (but do contain milk and soy lecithin).
• Andes Crème de Menthe Mints  are another great free-from chocolate option for your allergic sweetie. Wrapped in seasonal Valentine’s packaging, these luscious candy favorites are the perfect gift: no peanuts, tree nuts, eggs or gluten (but do contain milk and soy). Available at select Walgreens stores.
• Kids (and kids at heart) will adore Smarties Love Hearts , the classic candy wafer with a Valentine’s twist. Free of gluten and the Top 8 allergens, each candy is imprinted with a heart design and a sweet saying. Have fun comparing love messages. Available online at www.smartiesstore.com .
• In Canada, look for Canuck-style Smarties  (from Nestlé Canada) in an attractive heart-shaped box with that eye-catching peanut-free logo. Also, no artificial flavors. Contains dairy, wheat and soy.
• Give kids twice the delight with a Kinder Surprise Egg . The certified peanut- and nut-free chocolate egg contains a small toy ready to assemble for an extra dash of fun & learning. No egg either, but contains dairy and soy lecithin.
Next: Online Goodie Shopping
• Have time to go online? Then don’t miss the delicious and beautifully decorated Valentine’s Day cookies from the Sweet Alexis  bakery. These are egg-free, dairy-free and peanut-free and tree nut-free. The cookies will delight your allergic kids – but make sure you get enough for the whole family, allergies or not. (Do contain wheat and soy.) Visit their website  to order.
• Give the gift of love with the Heart Shaped Truffles box  from Vermont Nut Free Chocolates. All are free from peanut and tree nuts. Contain dairy, egg, soy and gluten. Visit their website  to order.
• Send your Valentine some sweetness with the Chocolate Love Frog  from Premium Chocolatiers, free from dairy, gluten, peanuts, nuts and egg. This cute little guy will bring a smile to anyone’s face. Contains soy. Visit their website  to order.
• Special for the day of love, Tootsie Roll’s Valentine Pops  are cherry-flavored with a Tootsie Roll center and feature a fun Valentine message on each wrapper. These pops are great for your Valentine’s party. Peanut-free, tree nut-free, egg-free and gluten-free. Available at peanutfreeplanet.com .
• Peanut Free Planet  is an online store with a large variety of seasonal candies and sweets. Each product is clearly labeled with all ingredients and is identified by the allergens that it does not contain. Shop their Valentine’s Day section here .
Jenny Kales is the founder of the The Nut-Free Mom  blog and has been a contributor to Allergic Living magazine.