Show Support for Food Allergy Awareness in 2012
• In the United States: This year’s Food Allergy Awareness Week takes place May 13 to 19.
To honor this special week, so far 10 states have issued proclamations supporting the event. The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN) hopes to top last year’s 32 states.
Erica Andert, mom of a 6-year old with food allergies, took the initiative to send a letter to the governor of Indiana. And she got action; the governor signed the proclamation. “If even one person sees and realizes the impact food allergies can have, then asking for awareness in Indiana was well worth it,” she says.
- Visit FAAN’s website for a sample proclamation to send to your governor.
- Have you sent a letter to your governor? Let us know on Facebook.
* In Canada, May is Food Allergy Awareness Month.
- Anaphylaxis Canada is seeking nominations for “Difference Makers”, people who have improved the lives of those with food allergies. Nominate someone at: www.anaphylaxis.ca.
- The EpiPen Take Action Event is a series of fun, family walk/runs organized in support of the Allergy/Asthma Information Association.
This year, the events take place:
Saturday, May 5 – Ottawa
Saturday, May 12 – Winnipeg
Saturday, May 12 – Brooklin, Ont. (north of Whitby)
Saturday, May 26 – Windsor, Ont.
Sunday, May 27 – Mississauga
For more information on participating or donating, click here.
A substantial portion of the money raised at the events goes to the Canadian Allergy, Asthma and Immunology Foundation (CAIFF) in support of allergy research and patient education.