Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
- 2 lbs (900 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) fresh basil, chopped
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz package (250 g) rice vermicelli
- 1 bunch green onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) coriander leaves, packed
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) mint leaves
- 1 red pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp umeboshi vinegar* [Substitution: same amount of rice wine vinegar]
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chili sauce (medium thickness)
- 1 ⁄2 cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
*Vinegar derived from a Japanese plum; available in health food stores and online.
- Combine curry powder, honey, chili powder, garlic, basil and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and marinate for 45 minutes.
- Place rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 8-10 minutes or until soft. Drain well and set aside.
- Pre-heat barbecue on high. Grill marinated chicken, turning once, 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and tent with foil. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Cut chicken into 1 ⁄ 2-inch cubes. Add chicken (and any juices), onion and red pepper to noodles. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Put salad onto serving dish, garnish with mint and coriander and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
Photo by Chris Gonzaga
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order the magazine, click here.