Free of: All top allergens and gluten-free
Chef’s Note: Here’s a savoury twist on the granita, which is usually a sweet, iced dish. For kids, you can make granita popsicles. Pair it with the Tomato and Fennel Salad (pictured).
- 1 ½ lbs (750 g) ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) basil leaves, finely sliced
- Place a cookie sheet in freezer to chill.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except basil. In a blender, in batches, pulse until smooth. Pass through fine sieve, discard solids.
- Add basil to the strained mixture and stir.
- Remove cookie sheet from freezer and line with plastic wrap.
- Pour tomato mixture onto plastic wrap. Place back into freezer. As the mixture freezes stir often with a fork to break into small pieces until texture resembles slushy snow. (For small freezer, pour mixture into ice cube trays; no stirring.)
- Serve granita in small dessert bowls or chilled glasses. Garnish with a basil leaf.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order the magazine, click here.