Free of: Gluten and top allergens
- 1 1 ⁄2 lbs (0.7 kg) ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1 tsp hot chili sauce (Look for allergy-friendly, gluten-free brand)
- 1 tbsp ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) allergy-friendly vegetable oil or olive oil
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) pineapple juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) brown sugar
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) rice wine vinegar
- Add all ingredients for chicken balls to a large bowl, except the cornmeal and vegetable oil. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Using your hands, take about 2 tbsp of mix, and roll into a ball. Continue this process until the mixture is used up.
- Place cornmeal in a wide, flat bowl. Roll chicken balls in to coat.
- Using a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add balls and turn often, until cooked through and golden brown.
- For the sauce: combine ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Serve warm chicken balls on skewers. Drizzle with sauce.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To order an issue or to subscribe, click here.