To make syrup
- Over medium heat, stir together 1 cup (250 mL) frozen raspberries (or other berry) and 1 cup of sugar. Cook until a thick syrup forms, then strain to remove seeds.
- Stir in zest of one lemon.
To make lollipops
- 2 cups (475 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup (60 mL) concentrated raspberry syrup
- Dissolve the sugar in water at low temperature, then increase heat to medium, making sure the temperature is high enough that your candy thermometer level is increasing, but low enough that the sugar won’t burn (this takes at least 20 minutes).
- Now boil until the temperature reaches “Hard Crack” – 290 degrees F (143 degrees C). Remove the mixture from the heat, and carefully place the pot into the warm water in your sink. This stops the cooking.
- Add syrup, stirring until completely incorporated.
- Make sure your molds are handy (I place them on parchment paper so spills are easy to clean), then ladle the boiling hot mixture into silicon molds.