- 2 cups (475 mL) water
- 1 7 oz (200 gram) box of creamed coconut (I used Let’s Do…Organic brand)
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups (350 mL) brown sugar
- 1 1 ⁄2 cups (350 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
To make caramels
- Mix together all ingredients except vanilla, and heat until mixture reaches “Firm Ball” stage – 242 degrees F. This takes at least 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and place your pot into a sink with warm water to stop the cooking. Add vanilla, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into parchment paper-lined 9 x 13-inch pan while still warm. Use the back of a knife to score into 1-inch square pieces.
- Let cool completely overnight and break into pieces. Caramels can be wrapped in parchment paper or cellophane.