Free of: Gluten and top allergens
- 1 ⁄4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium cooking pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) each of carrots, onion, celery; diced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg*
- 6 cups (1.5 L) vegetable stock [Look for allergen-free, GF brand]
- Pinch salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add pumpkin, carrots, onion, celery and leek. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add garlic and nutmeg, continue to cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- In a blender, purée soup in batches. Return to pot and season with salt and pepper.
*Note: Nutmeg is a spice derived from a seed, not a tree nut.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
See also: Curried Butternut Squash Soup
First published in Allergic Living magazine. To order that issue or to subscribe, click here.