Free of: Gluten and top allergens
- 6-8 medium red beets, peeled
- 8 cups (2 L) vegetable or sunflower oil [look for allergy-friendly brand]
- 1⁄2 cup (120 mL) cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) sea salt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chipotle peppers (canned), minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise [For egg-free, use Vegenaise; for soy allergy, look for soy-free brand]
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil to 350° F. (A candy thermometer is ideal for this.)
- Meanwhile, using a mandolin slicer, slice beets into wafer-thin rounds.
- In a large bowl, toss beet slices with cornstarch.
- Fry the beets in the oil in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, transfer cooked chips to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- For the aioli, combine chipotle peppers with mayo. Place into dipping bowl and serve with beet chips.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To get the magazine delivered to your door, click here.
© Copyright AGW Publishing Inc.