Free of: Gluten and all top allergens
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound (450 g) fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 tbsp sugar, divided
- 11 ⁄ 4 cup (310 mL) brown or white rice flour
- 1 ⁄ 2 cup (120 mL) potato starch
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup (60 mL) tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1 ⁄ 2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs or 1 tbsp egg replacer +
- ¼ cup (60 mL) warm water
- 1 14 oz can light coconut milk*
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup (60 mL) water, or as needed
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 batch Vanilla Coconut Whip (recipe follows), optional
- Place strawberries in a bowl and mix in 2 tablespoons of sugar. Let sit in the refrigerator while preparing waffles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, flour, starches, baking powder, xanthan or guar gum and salt until well-combined.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk or use a hand mixer to blend eggs or egg replacer, coconut milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture. Let batter sit while heating the waffle iron. The batter should be quite thick, but if too dense to pour, stir in 1 ⁄ 4 cup of water.
- Make waffles according to the manufacturer’s directions for your waffle iron.
- Top waffles with the sweetened strawberries and Vanilla Coconut Whip, if using.
Vanilla Coconut Whip
- Chill a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer
- Open a 14 oz can of regular (full-fat) coconut milk* without shaking. Skim 3⁄ 4 cup of the thick cream from the top, and place in the chilled mixing bowl.
- Whip with a mixer, using chilled beaters, until fluffy. Blend in 1-11 ⁄ 2 tablespoon powdered sugar and 1 ⁄ 4 teaspoon vanilla extract.
* This is canned coconut milk, not coconut milk beverage in the cartons.
*A Note on Coconut
Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
Alisa Fleming is a contributing editor to Allergic Living magazine and the author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance and Casein Free Living, and founder of Godairyfree.org .