Prepare a second batch of the following mix if also making the Chai-Spiced Warm Mylk.
Makes 1 ½ tablespoons
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 ⁄ 2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 ⁄ 4 tsp ground cloves
In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients together. Store the spice mix in an airtight container if not using immediately.
Makes 2/3 cup
- 1 cup (250 mL) powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening (such as Spectrum palm shortening)
- 1 tbsp plain dairy-free milk alternative
- 1 ⁄ 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Sift the powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add the shortening, milk alternative, vanilla and salt and, with your mixer on low, blend until the powdered sugar is incorporated.
- Turn the mixer up to medium; whip for 2 minutes, or until the icing is stiff but creamy.
Get a double dose of sweet and spice by dunking these cookies in a delicious warm glass of Chai-Spiced Warm Mylk.
Alisa Fleming is Allergic Living’s Senior Editor and the author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance and Casein Free Living. She is also founder of Godairyfree.org. Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine.