Caramel Pears with Sugared Cranberries
Posted By Allergic Living On 2013/12/05 @ 9:17 am In Allergy Safe Recipes,Celiac, Gluten-free,Christmas, Hanukkah,Dessert,Eggs,Fall,Fish,Fruit Dessert,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Desserts,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Sulphites,Thanksgiving,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 6 ripe pears (I prefer bosc), halved and cored
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) butter alternative [I used Earth Balance]
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup (250 + 60 mL) white sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 2 cups (475 mL) fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) icing sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- In a large, oven-proof sauté pan, heat the butter alternative and brown sugar on medium. Stir until melted, combined and slightly bubbling. Add lemon juice.
- Place pears into pan cut side down. Cook them 3-4 minutes, basting with the sauce.
- Move sauté pan to oven. Bake 10-12 minutes until pears are cooked through. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of the sugar and the water to a simmer, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add the cranberries.
- Meanwhile, place remaining white sugar and the icing sugar in a medium bowl.
- Once cool enough to handle, strain cranberries and add to bowl with sugar. Toss, until coated.
- Place pears in individual bowls with sugared cranberries, and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here .
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2013/12/05/caramel-pears-with-sugared-cranberries/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Caramel-Pears-Sugared-Cranberries_270x330.jpg
 here: http://allergicliving.com/subscribe.asp
Click here to print.