- 1 whole fennel bulb
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 cups (just under 2 L) chicken or vegetable stock [look for allergen-free brand]
- pepper and salt
- To make the fennel chips, pre-heat oven to 225° F. Slice fennel very thinly (preferably using a mandoline), and place in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar. Boil until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in lemon juice, then pour over fennel. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place fennel slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in onions, celery and carrots, cooking 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and sweet potatoes, cooking a further 4 minutes. Stir in spices and pour in stock.
- Bring soup to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 15-18 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Serve with fennel chips.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe, click here .
More Soup Recipes: