By Elana Amsterdam of Elana’s Pantry
Serve this chicken at the table in the baking dish so your family can enjoy the drippings. My younger son likes to smother his steamed broccoli in them, while I eat the cooked garlic on Paleo bread.
Free of: gluten and top allergens.
- 1 whole chicken, 2 to 3 pounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 3 lemons
- 2 medium onions
- 1 head of garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place the chicken, breast side down, in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Drizzle the chicken with the olive oil and honey, sprinkle with the salt, and stuff with 1 of the whole lemons. Cut the remaining 2 lemons in half and place in the corners of the baking dish. Cut the onions in half (leaving the skin on) and place alongside the lemon halves. Break the head of garlic apart (leaving the skin on) and scatter the cloves around the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken for 50 to 60 minutes, until the skin is well browned. Increase the heat to 450° F, turn the chicken breast side up, and bake for about 15 more minutes, until the instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 170° F – 180° F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Carve the chicken, drizzle with the pan juices, and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Paleo Cooking from Elana’s Pantry by Elana Amsterdam (Ten Speed Press, ©2013). Photo: Leigh Beisch. Available at Amazon.com