Triple Chocolate Brownie Cones
Posted By Laurie Sadowski On 2014/02/05 @ 5:03 pm In Allergy Safe Recipes,Birthday,Cakes, Cupcakes,Cakes, Cupcakes,Cakes, Cupcakes,Celiac, Gluten-free,Dessert,Eggs,Fall,Fish,For Kids,GF Baking,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Spring,Sulphites,Summer,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
By Laurie Sadowski
There’s no ice cream (nor allergens) in sight for these brownie-filled cones. Just chocolate upon chocolate upon chocolate.
Makes 8 cones
Free of: gluten and top allergens
- 8 gluten-free, allergy-free sugar cones (see Note at end)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder, softened
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) teff flour
- 2 tbsp sorghum flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) unrefined cane sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp mini allergy-safe semi-sweet chocolate chips, e.g. Enjoy Life brand
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) non-dairy buttery spread, e.g. Earth Balance
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 cups (475 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) allergy-safe semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- Sprinkles, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Completely cover a tube or bundt pan with foil, right over the edges. Use a sharp knife to make 8 X-shaped incisions – then carefully insert a cone into each one.
- To make the brownies, place the cocoa powder, teff flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, non-dairy milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl of a mixer or a large bowl. Beat, using the stand mixer or a hand mixer, until well combined. Add the flour mixture and beat until well mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the cones, a teaspoonful at a time to reach mid-way down the cone. Bake 14 to 17 minutes, until firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the brownie comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- To make the frosting, put the buttery spread and coconut oil in the (wiped clean) stand mixer. Beat on medium high speed until smooth and well combined. Add the vanilla extract and salt, and 1 cup of the icing sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy. Turn the mixer to low speed, and add cocoa powder and the remaining icing sugar, about 1/2 cup at a time, beating until thick. Add the non-dairy milk. Turn to high speed and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. (It should be thick and creamy; if too thin, add a little icing sugar and continue beating.)
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag with a 1/2-inch round pastry tip. Pipe a 2-inch-high spiral of frosting on top of each brownie. Freeze about 8 minutes, until frosting is hard.
- Meanwhile, make the coating. In a double boiler over medium heat, melt and stir the chocolate chips, oil and salt. Once completely melted, scrape the mixture into a container deep enough to dip the frosting end into without the top touching the bottom.
- Remove cones from the freezer. Dip the frosted end into the coating, letting excess drip off. Put the cone back in its holder. Garnish with sprinkles. Repeat with all cones. Refrigerate about 25 minutes to harden.
Note: Let’s Do Organic and Goldbaums both make allergy-friendly cones – just be sure to read the labels; one version contains soy.
Laurie Sadowski is a cookbook author whose most recent book is “The Allergy-Free Cook Bakes Cakes and Cookies”. Visit her at www.lauriesadowski.com 
More Allergy-Friendly Desserts:
Chocolate Pudding with Raspberry Infusion 
Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Squares 
Allergy-Friendly Chocolates 
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2014/02/05/triple-chocolate-brownie-cones/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/chocolate-cones.jpg
 www.lauriesadowski.com: http://www.lauriesadowski.com/
 Chocolate Pudding with Raspberry Infusion: http://allergicliving.com/2015/02/10/dairy-free-chocolate-pudding-with-raspberry-infusion/
 Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake Squares: http://allergicliving.com/2015/02/10/chocolate-cherry-cheesecake-squares/
 Allergy-Friendly Chocolates : http://allergicliving.com/2011/12/13/chocolate-safe-heaven/
Click here to print.