Chocolate-Dipped Apricot Biscotti
Posted By Cybele Pascal On 2014/03/11 @ 11:02 am In Allergy Safe Recipes,Baking,Celiac, Gluten-free,Cookies,Cookies,Dessert,Eggs,Fall,Fish,GF Baking,Milk/Dairy,Mustard,Other Legumes,Peanut,Sesame,Shellfish,Soy,Spring,Sulphites,Tree Nuts,Wheat,Winter | No Comments
By Cybele Pascal
Dried apricots and candied oranges coated in chocolate were the inspiration for this surprisingly gluten- and nut-free recipe. Each twice-baked bite delivers all three flavors along with a hint of nutmeg, perfect for pairing with a hot cup of tea or coffee.
Makes 24 biscotti
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 3 cups Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend  or Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 tbsp + 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (shaken to distribute coconut cream), divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1 cup dairy-free, soy-free chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life Chips or Chunks)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour blend, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt and nutmeg.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together 5 tbsp coconut milk and cornstarch.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine sugar and remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk on medium speed for 20 seconds. Add oil, vanilla and zest and mix for 1 minute.
- Add cornstarch slurry to machine’s bowl and mix for 20 seconds. Reduce to low speed and slowly incorporate the flour mixture. Fold in chopped apricots with a spoon.
- Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle a little flour blend onto dough and your hands (the dough will be sticky). Divide dough in half and shape into two logs, each approximately 8 inches long, 4 inches wide and 1 inch high. Square off ends.
- Bake in center of oven for 35 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven and reduce oven temperature to 300° F. Let logs cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet.
- Place logs on a cutting board and slice diagonally into 12 slices each. Return slices to baking sheet, cut side down. Bake 30 minutes, turning each slice halfway through, or until lightly golden. Immediately transfer biscotti slices to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- Put chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl that is wide enough to accommodate the biscotti lengthwise. Place bowl in microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds. Stir vigorously and repeat until chocolate is just melted and smooth, about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes total.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Dip biscotti lengthwise in melted chocolate, or use a butter knife to spread chocolate along one side. Place chocolate-side up on wax paper. Alternately, dunk one end of biscotti slices in chocolate and place on bottom edge on wax paper. Let biscotti sit at room temperature or in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set.
Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend
- 4 cups (950 mL) brown rice flour*
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) tapioca flour or starch
- 1 1/3 cups (320 mL) potato starch
- Mix until all ingredients are well-distributed. Then store in an airtight container.
Notes: When measuring flours and starches scoop into the measuring cups then level off with the back of a knife. Do not use the measuring cup to scoop.
*For best results: Use Authentic Foods Superfine Brown Rice Flour or Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour (which is also quite fine). However, the Bob’s product does carry a tree nut “may contain” warning. If using another brown rice flour instead, place in a spice grinder or food processor and blend for 1 minute to get the find grind needed for these recipes.
Contributor Cybele Pascal is the author of three cookbooks, including the new Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking and The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook . Visit her at cybelepascal.com .
For many more great recipes, subscribe  to Allergic Living magazine.
Article printed from Allergic Living: http://allergicliving.com
URL to article: http://allergicliving.com/2014/03/11/chocolate-dipped-apricot-biscotti/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://allergicliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/web_Chocolate-Dipped-Apricot-Biscotti1.jpg
 Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Blend: http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2014/02/04/cybeles-basic-gluten-free-flour-blend/
 Allergy-Free and Easy Cooking : http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Free-Easy-Cooking-30-Minute-Shellfish/dp/1607742918/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394549229&sr=8-1&keywords=cybele+pascal
 The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook: http://www.amazon.com/Allergen-Free-Bakers-Handbook-Cybele-Pascal/dp/1587613484/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1394549276&sr=8-3&keywords=cybele+pascal
 cybelepascal.com: http://cybelepascal.com/
 subscribe: http://allergicliving.com/get-allergic-living/?mod=home&act=US
Click here to print.