Soft and Tender Cinnamon Rolls
A gluten-free cinnamon roll that’s light, fluffy and chock-full of cinnamon flavor? It’s all in the technique.
Makes 8 large or 12 small rolls
Free of: gluten and all top allergens
- 1 batch Versatile Gluten-Free Yeast Dough
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp softened dairy-free margarine or buttery spread, divided
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1⅓ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dairy-free milk alternative, as needed
- Lightly grease 8 jumbo or 12 regular muffin cups.
- Scrape prepared yeast dough into a lightly greased pastry bag (or sealable plastic bag with a bottom corner snipped off) equipped with a ½- to ¾-inch tip. Pipe a single-layer swirl of dough into muffin cups. Pipe a second swirl directly on top of the first to add height.
- To make cinnamon filling, add brown sugar, ¼ cup margarine and cinnamon to a small bowl and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Change pastry bag tip to ⅛- to 1/16-inch tip and lightly grease the outside of the bag, near the tip. Scrape cinnamon filling into pastry bag. Press pastry bag tip into the center of a dough swirl, until close to the muffin cup bottom. Follow the swirl with the pastry bag while piping in the filling. Move tip a little higher and repeat. Repeat filling process for remaining rolls.
- Let rolls rise uncovered in a warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Bake 18-20 minutes, until lightly browned and the centers register 200º F. Let cool in cups for 10 minutes.
- To make icing, sift confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons margarine and vanilla. Mix with a whisk or hand mixer until well combined. If needed, add milk alternative, ½ teaspoon at a time, until a thick drizzly glaze results. Drizzle icing over buns while still warm.
Next: Savory Herb & Olive Oil Monkey Bread