- 2 lb (1 kg) outside-round beef roast (or similar lean cut)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each of fennel seeds, coriander seeds, cracked black pepper, salt and finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) horseradish (Look for allergen-free, GF brand)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) mayonnaise (For egg-free, use Vegenaise; for soy, look for soy-free brand)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and fresh pepper
- 1 head radicchio
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green onions, sliced,
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- Heat oven to 350° F. In a small bowl, combine fennel and coriander seeds with pepper, salt and fresh rosemary. Stir together to make spice rub.
- Cover skin side of beef with spice rub, pressing in well.
- Set beef into roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and cook for 40 minutes or until cooked. Remove and cool
- In a bowl, toss diced squash with l tbsp (15 mL) olive oil. Transfer to a roasting tray, cook for 20 minutes until cooked through. Remove from oven, let cool.
- To make the dressing, combine horseradish, mayo, cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, slice beef into thin shavings.
- Arrange radicchio leaves on a platter. Layer on sliced beef, followed by squash, and green onion.
- Drizzle with horseradish dressing and serve.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To get the magazine delivered to your home, click here.