- 3 cups rhubarb, washed, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 2 cups strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, diced
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup shredded organic coconut*
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil*
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Place rhubarb, orange juice and zest and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook 10-15 minutes, adding strawberries halfway through the cooking time. Fold in ginger. Cook until rhubarb is tender, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, place all dry topping ingredients into a medium- sized bowl and combine well. Add coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
- When rhubarb mixture is ready, divide into 10-12 individual ramekins or one 9-inch greased pie pan. Spoon on the topping.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until topping is nicely browned. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
*Note: Coconut is the fruit of the palm tree and not usually considered a tree nut. But if you or your child are tree-nut allergic, ask your doctor whether it’s OK to eat.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
For many more great recipes, subscribe to Allergic Living magazine.