Tart, sweet and the perfect finish to a summer meal, get ready to fall in love with this old-fashioned cake. It can be made a day in advance and lasts for several days, covered at room temperature. But good luck keeping it around that long!
Makes 12 ample servings
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) plain rice milk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) + 2 tbsp vanilla vegan yogurt (I use So Delicious coconut milk yogurt)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 1/4 cups (535 mL) Authentic Foods GF Classical Blend or Cybele’s Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix (recipe follows)
- 1 1/8 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 1 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 cup (250 mL) + 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) + 1 tbsp dairy-free soy-free shortening
- 2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 41/2 tbsp plain rice milk
- 1 recipe Lemonade Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Generously grease a 9 x 13-inch pan with shortening.
- Combine rice milk, yogurt, lemonade concentrate, vinegar and zest in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Measure flour mix by spooning flour into a dry measuring cup, then leveling it off with a straightedge. In a medium bowl, whisk flour mix with baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- Add sugar and shortening to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and egg replacer mixture. Mix on medium speed for one minute more.
- Sift the flour mixture into the bowl of the stand mixer in three batches, alternating with the lemonade mixture, and mixing after each addition to combine. Transfer batter to the prepared pan, and use an offset spatula to even out.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cake begins to pull away from the pan sides, the top is golden, and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Place pan on a cooling rack and let the cake cool completely. Spread frosting using an offset spatula.
Next: Lemonade Buttercream Frosting