Though this recipe contains just four ingredients, the creamy texture and bright berry flavor prove that simplicity is bliss.
Makes about 1 quart
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 1 pound (16 oz) strawberries
- 1 14 oz can full-fat coconut milk*
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Wash and hull strawberries.
- Place strawberries, coconut milk, sugar and vanilla in a blender and puree until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Set blender jar in the refrigerator and let chill for 1-2 hours.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- Pack the soft ice cream in a freezer-safe container and freeze for several hours or overnight for hard-packed ice cream.
*A Note on Coconut
Coconut is technically a fruit. While most allergists do not consider it a tree nut, if you are nut allergic, ask your doctor if coconut is safe for you.
Alisa Fleming is Allergic Living’s Senior Editor and the founder of the Godairyfree.org website.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine.