- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (475 mL) onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 lbs (1 kg) ground beef
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can kidney beans
- 1 28 oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz (398 mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp canned chipotle peppers,puréed
- 1⁄4 cup (60 mL) allergen-free dark chocolate, grated
- Pre-heat oven to 375º F. To make chili, heat olive oil in a large pot. Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots and beef. Continue to cook, 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients, except chocolate. Bring to a boil, simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.
- Add grated chocolate to chili, stir until it’s melted.
Serve hot chili with cornbread.
Corn Bread Ingredients
- 1 1⁄4 cup (310 mL) all-purpose gluten-free (GF) or regular all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup (160 mL) cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄2 cup (125 mL) sunflower oil
- 2 eggs or 2x egg replacer
- 1 1⁄2 cup (375 mL) buttermilk OR soy or oat milk soured with 2-3 tsp of lemon juice.
- 1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, finely diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, de-seeded, minced
- Grease a 5×9-inch loaf pan. Dust lightly with GF flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, buttermilk or substitute, red pepper and jalapeño. Then add to flour mixture; stir to combine.
- Place dough into loaf pan and bake 25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and slice.
Recipe by Simon Clarke
First published in Allergic Living magazine.
To subscribe and get the magazine to your door, click here.