By Alisa Fleming
Makes 6 servings
Free of: Gluten and all top allergens.
- 21/2 lbs (1.15 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick sticks
- 3 tbsp grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus additional to taste
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl and cover with water. Let sit 45 minutes.*
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets or line with parchment pepper.
- Drain sweet potatoes and thoroughly pat dry. Place on baking sheets. Drizzle with oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle on sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss to evenly coat. Spread sweet potatoes to avoid touching.
- Bake 25 minutes. Flip and bake 10-20 minutes, until browned around edges. Check bottoms to ensure they don’t burn. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
* Note: Soaking the potatoes helps to retain inside tenderness.
Alisa Fleming is a contributing editor to Allergic Living magazine and the author of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook for Milk Allergies, Lactose Intolerance and Casein Free Living, and founder of Godairyfree.org.
Recipe first published in Allergic Living magazine.